Properly maintained roofing on an apartment complex can last for a few decades, but wear and weather will eventually take its toll. Not having a regular roofing maintenance plan can cause damage to developing much sooner, leaving you with leaks and expensive repairs. There are a few important tips to remember when it comes to keeping your apartment complex roof in good shape.
Taking Care Of Your Apartment Complex Roof
- Regular cleaning: The collection of dirt and debris can cause water to pool which causes water damage and leaking. By regularly removing all debris, you can ensure water flows from the roof and prevent pinding.
- Clean reflective membranes: If you have reflective membranes, these also need to be cleaned regularly. Dirty membranes will reduce reflectiveness which means the roof will absorb heat faster and age more quickly.
- Check for wear: Large holes and missing shingles are obvious but some damage is less easy to see. Checking for signs of wear and tear is the best way to identify problems before they become serious.
- Repair problems quickly: Should you notice any wear or weather damage during cleaning, make sure you repair it right away. Worn seals are a common cause of leaks so be sure to inspect flashing, fasteners, and sealant frequently and make repairs before serious damage occurs.
- Inspect roofing after bad weather: It is important to check the roof after severe weather, heavy winds, or heavy rain. Even if your roof is made from materials that are durable and weather resistant, it is a good idea to check after bad weather to make sure no damage occurred.
As a property owner or manager, the safety of your tenants is a top priority. This involves having a well-maintained apartment complex that includes a well-maintained roof. With these tips, you can be sure that your roof is not only safe but will last for many years to come.